Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Book Report for Divergent by Veronica Roth


Cover Story: A little less Urban, a little more Decay
BFF Charm: Lean on Me
Swoonworthy Scale: 7.5
Talky Talk:  Like it is
Bonus Factors: Strong Female, You aren't a Baby, Fighting
Relationship Status: Not Going Anywhere




Cover Story:
Slightly catchy. Won't say I'm crazy about this cover but there isn't anything to hate either. I'm a word and text snob so I can't claim that I think the format of the title is the best thing I've ever seen. A little too urban for my taste. More decay please! Although in fairness, that may be saved for the next book.



The Deal:
"Beatrice "Tris" Prior has reached the fateful age of sixteen, the stage at which teenagers in Veronica Roth's dystopian Chicago must select which of five factions to join for life. Each faction represents a virtue: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. To the surprise of herself and her selfless Abnegation family, she chooses Dauntless, the path of courage. Her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of this group, but it also threatens to expose a personal secret that could place in mortal danger. Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances." (from goodreads)


BFF Charm: Lean on Me
Tris is not perfect, but she certainly is likable. I would totally see myself becoming BFFs with her. And I know she would always stick up for me. The only problem I have is her loss of certain emotions (or more like repressions) after certain events. However I also understand that this is part of the deal with being Dauntless. Not an easy task, as the reader finds out.




Swoonworthy Scale: 7.5
Four! Such a cool character. Won't lie, hate his real name that you find out during the book (can't help connecting it to Arrested Development!)


Talky Talk: Like It Is
Tris seems to have the caring factor of Abnegation deep within her mind, as the reader sees it in her thoughts (in first person) and her observations. I thought the only thing lacking were her fear descriptions, which I didn't  "feel" as well.


Bonus Factors:
Strong Female
Except not like that ^^ XD. I love strong girl characters. One of the reasons why I love Hunger Games, and almost anything by Tamora Pierce. Girls kick ass and I love it when they aren't waiting around for a boy to rescue them. Something important in Young Adult fiction. Girls need to know they CAN do it themselves. That doesn't mean I don't like a good romance, but any book with the girl doing nothing and being weak (cough, Twilight, cough) makes me want to throw up. Sure those work for some girls, not me.

You Aren't A Baby
Thank you, Veronica Roth, for not treating the YA crowd as a baby. We can handle the heartbreak and the violence. You tell the story to us straight, and we can handle that. I like that in a Young Adult book.

Fighting
The Dauntless fighting is hardcore. No details spared, but you aren't about to throw up from the gore either. Me gusta! 






Relationship Status: Not Going Anywhere
I will sit right here and wait for the next book. I am not going anywhere, Veronica. You charmed me with your book and I LOVED it. Thank you for giving me the pleasure of reading it, it is going on my favorites list. I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes strong female characters and/or (especially) well thought-out dystopian novels.




Disclaimer: I have used the Book Report Style Grading from ForeverYoungAdult. I do not claim originality in my style of reviews. That being said, this is my own personal opinion of a book I was unsolicited to review. I received nothing for my review except the pleasure of reading.


More to Come!
On Deck:
Matched - Ally Condie
Eon: Dragoneye Reborn - Alison Goodman


In The Pit:
Dark Parties - Sara Grant
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Random Riggs

No comments:

Post a Comment